AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pole barn ideas
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

bsfarms
Posted 3/20/2019 09:27 (#7390724 - in reply to #7389900)
Subject: RE: Pole barn ideas

south central WI
Personally I would poor my own concrete on top of the soil rather than run on gravel. We expanded in the late 90's early 2000's. Built all our own barns from excavating to pouring walls to building to plumbing and finishing. All the concrete was poured at 4" over the soil. Theres a few spots that are ruined due to heavy traffic. This cow yard was poured around 1998-99. It was a temporary yard under a failing 2 story barn. The barn finally had to be torn down last year. The concrete is still in great shape since it's mostly cattle and skidloader traffic with occasional spreader on it. The only concrete here that is totally shot is where we ran 9000 gallon manure tankers over it and it's in a low spot. Concrete at $110/yard would be a little over $8000. I dont know what a decade or 2 of gravel will cost you. It's a barn floor so pouring doesnt have to be pretty, just sloped to drain. Pouring a little thicker pad would be better, but if you keep the traffic on it light, we havent had any real issues with thinner concrete. Most on here would disagree. We also pour 6" with gravel base now, but our budget is better now.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)