AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Taking farmland back to pasture. Critique my plan.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

dabeegmon
Posted 3/12/2019 05:00 (#7374912 - in reply to #7374480)
Subject: RE: Taking farmland back to pasture. Critique my plan.

SE Manitoba
ntexcotton - 3/11/2019 20:48

While you guys up north have been fighting the snow, we have been working through the mud trying to get my plans done. This place was farmed for decades by my grandfather and my dad. The hunt brothers (silver scheme boys) bought it in 72. We moved back on it in 2012. Hunts plowed ever acre and wrecked the place. Since we gained control of it, dad has been on my rear to put it back. Here is my plan that follows how it was farmed 40 years ago and we are about 50% done. New grass will be improved grass and mostly klein. The main pasture was sprigged into Bermuda that I rested and got back in shape after being heavily overgrazed. The fields will be wheat for grazing in the winter and crabgrass in the summer. I plan to keep 400 pair per year on this place but 600 may not be out of the question.

The first pic is the original fences. The second is the Bermuda that is completed with cross fences. We are working on the north and east parcels with fencing and grass establishment.

I hope I'm understanding things correctly (blue dots are a water source, fences at least) and I"d bet there are things that knowing the ground would help (topography).
To me you seem to have a pretty good handle on what will work and are definitely headed in the right direction.
What you could have more of - - - well you've got 12 designated pastures and 8 designated 'wheat' (you say your going to use the wheat for winter pasture but I'm separating the two as they will be managed somewhat differently) - - - you could break up those pastures - - - I'd use just temporary fences as things might need changing depending upon the year to have a lot more 'patches'.
You also have water 'shortages'. Some 'pastures' have 2 sources, you have a creek (river whatever) and some have none.
I'd suggest that the creek be fenced off (permanent) and that the riparian area be grazed occasionally enough to keep the ground with enough cover and grass roots so you really minimize any soil moving at higher water (that can be quite challenging).
Water sources where you presently don't have them can easily be temporary and even moveable if that helps things.

As your proposed plan goes quite a way toward what I've suggested I'm almost wondering if you hadn't thought of at least some of what I've mentioned.

Adding all of what I've suggested is going to increase the work load but I do know that grass managed really well - - - well - - - it makes money - - - even in the tougher years.
(Dunno how you'd run 400 pairs on this in a dry year though (that 1 in 10 or 1 in 25 dry year at least).)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)