AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

poor internet speed
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

BigNorsk
Posted 2/10/2009 11:48 (#603668 - in reply to #601891)
Subject: Signal strength

Rolla, ND
I haven't dealt with that type of signal but don't you have some sort of indication on your computer of signal strength?

For instance, with my in home router, there is a little icon on the lower right portion of the screen that looks like two computer monitors with a little something else beside them, which changes depending on the signal.

If I right click that and chose "Connect to a network" a screen comes up that shows all network signals and their strength.

If you are connected through the wireless network built into your laptop for instance, that's exactly how it should work.

Now your wireless system is probably some different, but I'd check that network anyway. And then I'd check all the little icons down in that area because it would seem strange to me if their software wouldn't put something there. One of the should have the ability to show your wireless connection.

If not, then it's a matter of finding the software running for your wireless and bringing that up on screen, there just has to be a utility somewhere in that to show signal strength.

Now if I'm a betting man, what I would guess is happening, is you might very well be in such a nice area that you are getting more than one signal, only instead of hooking onto the strong one you are supposed to, you are hooking onto one that is poor. Maybe someone set something in the software not to roam but to remain on the home station and what that was set to is a poor signal.

What I'm guessing is happening, is that you are accessing the Wifi through a wireless network adaptor, and that you actually aren't getting it through your provider. (Their support should be able to see when you are on or not and even likely have a history of that) but that you are hooking into Joe neighbor's slow old home network through his wireless router and likely getting to share a dialup connection with him.

It's just a guess.

Which should be easily diagnosed, if you just pull up your networks page like I said to and see the signal strengths and names of the networks. I suspect you are hooking onto one that may even have a strong signal but isn't the right one. Strong doesn't mean fast.

Marv
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)