AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cellphone is daylight savings time confused
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

tedbear
Posted 3/10/2019 11:38 (#7371258 - in reply to #7371102)
Subject: RE: Cellphone is daylight savings time confused

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
The time switch thing wasn't really a problem for me as everything in the house that supposed to jump ahead did. The battery powered clock above the kitchen sink, the clock in the microwave and another electric clock required me to set them manually. I don't remember the situation in my car. I never set the clock in the Ranger back so it should still be correct from before.

Mentioning Arizona reminded me of the time we went to Laughlin Nevada. The airport is across the river in Arizona. Arizona doesn't use Daylight Savings Time whereas Nevada does. This means that at certain times of the year their clocks would be the same but at other times they are different. The airport has a good solution. They always have two clocks beside each other. One has a sign saying Arizona and the other says Nevada.

I still have a bit of a mystery with a new clock I bought 6 months ago. The clock above the kitchen sink was always an AC electric analog clock for years while I was growing up. With the daylight savings time switch I needed to crawl on a stool and change the time for my Mother. I left home for several years but as the folks got older and passed away I returned to the home place. I had the kitchen remodeled and as part of the process, didn't wire an outlet above the sink. I just used a battery powered clock for several years. This did require crawling up on a stool for the Daylight time switch and replacing the battery as needed. One day I noticed online an AC powered clock which would switch the time automatically for the daylight time change. I bought one, rewired the outlet and installed it. It didn't take long to realize that it was gaining time. I finally removed it and replaced it back with a battery powered analog clock.

I complained about the clock and the rep told me to remove the power source. Actually the power source is just a 110 VAC cord with a DC convertor. The convertor is the size of a AA battery. After removing the convertor, I installed a AA battery and laid the clock beside my computer. The clock has kept good time running on the battery and did correctly make the Daylight switch today on its own. I checked the voltage on the DC output of the convertor, it shows 1.5V . I thought some electric clocks based time on the frequency of the AC line since running the house off a generator that was off frequency could cause the clocks to run incorrectly. It doesn't seem like this would be the problem since the convertor is changing to DC anyway.

Edited by tedbear 3/10/2019 11:59
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)