AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Blending off good hay
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

blowsand
Posted 3/7/2019 14:00 (#7365336)
Subject: Blending off good hay

mercer county, il
Most of our tougher hay is gone, and with it thawing the time left on cornstalks is limited.

We have a lot of 2nd and some 3rd cutting straight alfalfa left, and plenty of straw. 4th cutting was 170+ rfv and the dairy we sold to did not notice a change or complain about the 2nd or 3rd cutting.

We were planning on feeding large square bales of this alfalfa, but a neighbor fed some and said it “shot right through” his cows.

We don’t have a lot of cows, and buying a TMR mixer or having someone custom grind is out of reach for us.

A good friend has a tmr mixer, but he will not take it out on the salty roads, and I don’t blame him. Short of taking hay and straw and having him grind/mix it for me and hauling it home in the straight truck is there any other way to get them to not sort the straw out.

I would just sell the hay and buy some grass hay, but junk hay is not discounted enough to make the feed value it contains work, and they would probobally still sort it.

And I know it’s not a bad problem to have, just frustrating, we were going to get more cows, but not if we can’t get them fed properly.

Edited by blowsand 3/7/2019 14:01
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)