AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

when do you intervene in bad weather
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

forget
Posted 3/5/2019 00:03 (#7359881)
Subject: when do you intervene in bad weather

eastern sd
Started having calves about a week ago and weather is terrible, -30 windchill for 3 days now and deep snow. been locking cows up in pen with good windbreak at night so I can watch them. I check every 2 hours I dont have much for facilities but I have a shed that can hold 1 pair and I can throw them in the pickup if i need to warm them up. Often times a cow will have a calf in the night and it will be in a good spot and the cow will be doing everything right and I feel like if I try to grab that calf and warm it up I will do more harm then good, usually the other cows that have calves have them right where they should be and I cant grab the calf without stirring them all up. I'd say 3/4 of the time the calf ends up being fine. If I do grab it and warm it up/give colostrum or whatever its about 50/50 that it survives. To be clear I always grab calves that are in obvious trouble, I guess the question is is it worth it to intervene in situation like this where the calf looks ok and potential to do harm exists?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)