AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Shop rules and posters
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

sand85
Posted 3/3/2019 17:56 (#7356916 - in reply to #7356876)
Subject: RE: Shop rules and posters

C IL

I do think an issue has been never really getting the shop totally organized since moving in, and things just pile up over time.  For sure, not everything having a labelled defined place has been a problem.  I'm proud of my brother, he has taken the lead in reorganizing the parts and supplies loft and we have found a lot of stuff we knew we had ... somewhere.  We have been running the label maker hard.  We are really close to having everything put away for the first time, really, since we moved in 10 years ago.  Apparently there is a lot of floor underneath all the piles of items laying around.

I have tried not to just take over and make everything my way, since I'm in there much less than my brother and our main employee.  But ... there are some little issues that become big issues if not addressed, and one of those is simply picking up things when you are done with them, and putting them away in already defined locations.  Leaving tools out at night just isn't acceptable, because its a common work space and things happen at night and on weekends when the people who are usually there may not be there. 

Like I said above, I'm going for funny but constant reminders by putting up a poster or two, and trying to start a 'clean up on Friday at 4pm tradition'.  If I'm around it gets done and I get everyone into motion, otherwise it doesn't.  I think a key test of leadership is developing a culture that continues outside your direct presence and otherwise in your absence, and I'm just trying to keep us gently moved in that way.  We didn't get disorganized overnight and we won't get organized overnight, but we've made a big step and I want to continue.

On a separate note, this thread has been a real eye-opener for me, it's amazing how many people want to push back against being organized and basic boundaries of sharing common spaces, when doesn't even affect them, its just some random guy they responded to on an online forum.  Entropy is a real thing, I guess.

Edited by sand85 3/3/2019 17:57
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)