AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Best source for insulin
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Bill Moyer
Posted 2/25/2019 20:23 (#7344617 - in reply to #7344469)
Subject: RE: Best source for insulin

Coldwater, Michigan
I am on Teachers Retirement and Medicare insurance. My deductible for meds is $1000 per year.I am not sure about the meds he is taking for his insulin. I am type 2 diabetic. I was taking Humalog, Symlin Pen, and Lantus, and Metformin. Changed to different Dr and she took me off the Symlin Pen. That one was costing me $1000+ every three months. Said Metformin you can still take, and the Lantus and Humalog will work just fine to accomplish what we need to do. By the way she is an Endocrinologist where the others were just GPs. In short order she asked if Money was a factor. I replied if we can get at least as good of control with less expense, I am all for it. I was paying $80 per bottle of Humalog and $60 per bottle of Lantus after paying $1000 deductable per year. She cut my Lantus from 150 Units per day to 80 units per day, and the Humalog used to last me for a month per bottle. Now a bottle lasts about 2 1/2 months.

I am now under much better control than I can remember being in the past. Her approach is to control the meal, not the number. If you control the meal your insulin will in the normal range w/in about 4 hours. There is more to it than that, but that is the jist of her approach.

I now have replaced my Lantus with Humilin "N" and my Humalog with Humilin "R" from WalMart. I walk in without a prescription, tell them what I want and for $24.97 per bottle of either one I am good to go. In Indiana you need a prescription to get the same material. I can't speak for all states, but I do know you can do the same in Tennesee. No prescription!

How that substitutes with your son's meds I don't know. My past Drs all wanted me on the latest, greatest things to come out. And I am now under much better control on some old school meds!

Edited by Bill Moyer 2/25/2019 20:31
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)