AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

2019 goals
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

JW_midwest
Posted 2/15/2019 23:05 (#7323545 - in reply to #7323409)
Subject: RE: 2019 goals

Southern MO
Before the rye it will be in corn which will hopefully be cut in a manageable amount of time this year. Last fall nothing was cut in correct order with the rain we had. If not cut in time grass will be stockpiled also have about 300 bales stored inside I can feed from this year.
Will be doing controlled grazing as we do that now with our cow calf pairs. This field is surrounded by 6 strands of hot wire (3 hot and 3 dead).
Grandad said after the row crops on these 50 acres this year he’d be wiling to let me do what I want with them. He said he’s ready to see what the new generation of agricultre has to bring and how it can change things. I introtuced him to rotational grazing sophomore year of high school and he’s never looked back (which allowed me to add my 20+ pairs to the herd of my own). He stands behind the new practices I introduce which I’m grateful for. I’ve saved up money since 6th grade when he gave me 3 pairs and kept my heifers back to expand my herd and save money for my farm ideas. He’s down sizing his herd and letting me expand what I think will make more money (I don’t pay rent but have redone about $3,000 worth of fence 6 strands of gaucho if it wasn’t up to par also do all of the mowing and baling he does some raking he turned 80 on Tuesday one of the most ambitious older men I’ve met he’s out everyday either feeding cattle with me or were working on something he had a pacemaker put in 2 months ago and I look at him as my role model everyday I would not be the man I am today without him). Don’t really plan on making money the first year plan on putting profit toward some corral updates (guard rail) this is my off season hobby not my job. I have 30 pairs of my own and were fall calving so the time frame works out good for me so I’m able to baby sit.

Edited by JW_midwest 2/15/2019 23:07
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)