AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Dordt College Agriculture Alumni?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

DRester
Posted 2/8/2019 17:34 (#7307103 - in reply to #7307037)
Subject: RE: Dordt College Agriculture Alumni?

Franklinton, LA
I like your response. No matter what happens the student is going to spend some money and 4 years of their life if they get a college degree. People often overlook the fact that the larger universities provide a much broader and higher quality educational experience. They also offer the student better employment opportunities after graduation. However, I understand that these universities may not be the best for all students.

The 18 year old freshman who enters a university next fall will probably be employed until they turn 65 in 2066. What can a university teach these students in 36 months that will really prepare them for a 40+ year career? I think you need a university with several departments and professors who have different backgrounds. You need professors who can expose the student to a vast array of possibilities. I don't think you will get this type of exposure in a college or university with a minimal number of departments and professors. Some of these colleges do not have travel funds for professors to travel, attend conferences and make contacts with people who can provide them with exposure to new developments. I would be concerned about a professor teaching 5 or more courses based on 10 year old text books that were written based on 20 year old data.

Edited by DRester 2/8/2019 19:52
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)