AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tariff’s with China
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Brian Barinsky
Posted 2/6/2019 08:42 (#7300677 - in reply to #7300623)
Subject: RE: Tariff’s with China

I’m old enough to know that if the trade war stops tomorrow, do you really think businesses ie.. Timpte will lower their trailer price by 10%? My opinion is ... no.

When corn was $8 and the price of corn syrup and popcorn went up, the local news was interviewing the manager of the local movie theater, “he was forced to raise the price of a large soda by $1 and the price of a tub of popcorn by $1.50 because of corn being $8”. Our brilliant South Dakota Corn representative was then interviewed and studdered and stammered and gave a bad answer. Simple answer, there isn’t $1 worth of ingredients in the soda and $1.25 worth of popcorn in the tub. Corn is now at a 50% discount, pop and popcorn are still going up in price, where is the local news now trying to get to the bottom of whom is the real person profiting?

My point is... prices don’t fall easily when it comes to consumer goods.

Once a person (China) “innovates” and finds a new supplier for their needs (Brazil, Argentina)... it seems then we need to be cheaper or have a more compeling reason for them to change suppliers. And... it’s not like their isn’t intelligent people in those countries that will be competitive and won’t want to lose that export business also! I feel my 2 biggest costs are land and labor, so I’m at a very distinct disadvantage to South American producers.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)