AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

wireless printer/scanner, who's got what?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 1/25/2019 09:33 (#7271347 - in reply to #7269842)
Subject: RE: wireless printer/scanner, who's got what?

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I've used several styles with generally good luck. First computers used Epson dot matrix. Then I went with some lasers. They worked fine but the supplies got rather spendy but did last a long time. Later my printing needs fell off and I went with ink jets. I have a Canon Pixma and for some reason picked up an HP a couple of years ago. The Canon has been sitting here unused for some time.

With the HP, I bit on their ink program. It works like this, for a flat fee per month, I am guaranteed to get ink cartridge/print heads in the mail before I need them. Since the printer is WiFi, the company "knows" how much I am printing and adjusts the ink refill deliveries before I need them. This plan comes with different amounts of pages/month at various prices. I am at the 50 pages/month which has been adequate. If I don't use all 50 pages in a month, the extra are rolled over to the next month. So if I only used 40 pages in November, I would have the base 50 + 10 rollover pages for December. They send me new cartridges prior to me needing them. They enclose a return mailer to send the spent cartridge back to them. This costs me $ 3.21/month. I like the program because I don't have to worry about running out of ink. This program is not for everyone but works for me.

This worked fine until this week. I am meeting with a lawyer for some Estate planning and I needed copies of deeds and other documents. One day I got a message that I was getting close to my page limit. The next day I got an email that I was over my page limit and would be charged $1.00 per set of the overrun. A set contains 10 pages. I can't borrow ahead from the next month. They encouraged me to bump up to the next level. Since this situation is rare, I believe I will just continue with the 50/month plan and pay the surcharge this month.

This got me to thinking about using the old Canon since it is just sitting there anyway. I plugged it into the wall and tried making a copy. The printer went through the normal gyrations and the paper came out but it was blank. I feel the print head has dried out from the long period of not being used.

I was happy with both the Canon and the HP. I'm not really sure why I bought the HP since I think the Canon was still working. The HP is wireless and I can print directly from my computer, iPhone or iPad although I don't print from the mobile devices much.

Edited by tedbear 1/25/2019 12:33
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)