AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cattle manure and weed seed question.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Notazo6
Posted 1/20/2019 10:42 (#7258470 - in reply to #7257670)
Subject: RE: Cattle manure and weed seed question.

South Central South Dakota
SDfarmer81 - 1/19/2019 23:11

I should have said I have used compost before. I didn't do the composting myself.

We are about 175 miles west of Winner. Fall River Feedyard is the feedlot close.

The way the feedlot does it is the pile manure in long lines. Then it is my understanding that every day they have to take temperature readings of the compost piles. If they are a certain temperature they turn them with a compost turner. I've been told each row gets turned every day until they no longer heat. It is suppose to get so hot to kill weed seeds. The compost I used did not bring any new weeds to my fields. At two tons to the acre it is practically just a dusting of the fields. It also does not have any smell. My parents reseeded their lawn about five years ago. Dad got a pickup load of compost and I scattered it with a shovel, and then pulled an old harrow over it with the 4wheeler to blend it good. They scattered seed and watered well and got a great stand of grass with no weeds.

A question I have for guys spreading manure is how many tons per acre do you typically do?

Thanks I’m looking to start a joint venture with a feedlot to compost there manure is why I asked would love more local insight.

From what I have red deapending on your samples yo will apply ruffly half the amount of compost compared to actual manure. So 2ton compost would be 4 ton manure. Around here I have heard from 4-8ton per acre on manure and as high as 10 but not many are getting a real accurate application from what I have seen
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)