AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Time to rebuild tubgrinder.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

oldskool
Posted 1/8/2019 19:01 (#7230509 - in reply to #7230417)
Subject: RE: Time to rebuild tubgrinder.

Just put new rods and hammers in before Christmas. I get rods and hammers from Jacobs corporation, about $19 apiece for hammers. Not sure on a current rod price, had a couple sets on hand so didn’t order any this time.

Are you saying your mill actually broke? If so it might be a bigger deal than you think, by welding a piece in you’re going to be changing the weight on that side of the mill with the extra weld. In turn, the mill won’t be dynamically balanced anymore. The vibration from an out of balance mill can wreck stuff in a hurry. Those big mill bearings were $800-1000 a shot last I checked in 2012. So them failing is definitely something I’d try to avoid. The guy we had custom grind for us had a log chain dropped in his, broke out a chunk of the mill. He ended up taking the mill out and sending it to be rebalanced. They welded squares with rod holes punched in them to get it balanced after they repaired the broken section. Can’t remember what it cost but wasn’t cheap either. If you do repair it yourself, watch the cable for the unloading conveyor, if it vibrates more than 2 inches there’s a balance issue.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)