AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Wind mill sound
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

billw
Posted 1/5/2019 15:15 (#7222401 - in reply to #7220475)
Subject: RE: Wind mill sound

E. Kansas
Just some guessing, but I wonder if there are different style blades? I have no idea how many different wind generator blade manufacturers there are. Maybe some blades are designed to operate quieter, but maybe they aren't as efficient or have as long of a service life, or are more expensive to build?

Blades used on home fans sure can vary in shape, the amount of air moved and the fan noise. There can be considerable difference between the amount of air that the old Emerson Electric fans can move (some with the grill wire so far apart you could put your hand into the fan), and what some plastic box fans can move. I've seen the old Emerson fans, maybe 16" oscillating size, that you could hardly hear run, but they were really moving the air and spinning fast. I've seen some 20" plastic box fans that sounded like a Cessna 152 ready for take off and you could hardly feel the air moving right in front of them when they were on high. Those fans have totally different blade designs. Maybe wind turbine blade designs have similar impact on the intensity and pitch of the swooshing/etc that is heard, but the variances in the design which cause the noise differences are not as easily seen?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)