AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Quickbooks Pro or Premier
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Flagship
Posted 1/25/2019 14:59 (#7272102 - in reply to #7270522)
Subject: RE: Quickbooks Pro or Premier

Keith, yes, Intuit is like a lot of companies that gets a few $$$ up front, then keeps asking for more. But you generally only pay more if you are actually using the services they want to charge you for....

I know someone using QuickBooks 2012, on Windows 7, and she probably could be using QuickBooks 2010 or earlier. lf she upgrades to Windows 10 she'll have to upgrade to a newer version of QuickBooks, for compatibility with Windows 10. But because she is just using QuickBooks' accounting features (not payroll, not online banking) she will be able to use QB 2012 for as long as she wants....on Windows 7 (which Microsoft is sunsetting on Jan. 14th of next year, by the way.).

Every software company has to get paid for the job of continuing to provide support--maintaining compatibility with the changing landscape of Windows, the Internet, Web browsers, data security breaches/hacks, server operating costs, etc. Intuit doesn't charge an annual maintenance or support fee (compare that with many of the ag-specific accounting packages out there). They get paid for that through upgrades--which again, are voluntary; you really only need them if you're using Intuit services like payroll, or need compatibility with a newer version of Windows or Macintosh, etc.

Payroll is important to a lot of people, and Intuit's payroll system is one of the easiest to use. But if you have a small payroll you can do it manually as Duane mentioned, or buy someone else's payroll program (some don't charge an annual fee), or use an online payroll service--but you probably will pay just as much with any of those as you will with Intuit Payroll.

An important thing to know is that Intuit sells the desktop QuickBooks editions two ways:  for a single price up front, and on an annual subscription basis known as the "Plus" versions; i.e., QuickBooks Pro Plus, QuickBooks Premier Plus, etc. The Plus versions always cost more for a three-year QB lifespan than paying up front. (I believe they should really be called the "Plus Plenty of $$$" versions. Some QuickBooks resellers refuse to sell them because they're kind of a rip-off.)

But the desktop Plus versions' annual subscription costs are no worse than the monthly price of QuickBooks Online. Prices change often, but the cost per year assuming 3 year's use of QuickBooks Pro ($180 paid for up front, not the Plus edition) is about $60 per year for 1 user. The cost of QuickBooks Online Essentials is $35 per month, which is $420 per year for 1 user!

Finally, note that Intuit's sunset policy for QuickBooks desktop editions is 3 year, not two. For instance, QB 2016 will be sunsetted on May 31 of this year, 2019.

I've had a love/hate relationship with Intuit for even longer than you have (I got started with DOS versions of QuickBooks), but I still don't find anything in its price range that beats it in terms of capabilities or cost.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)