AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

I feel like I’ve been hit by a bus... Johne’s disease... what’s a guy supposed to do?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

oldtiger
Posted 12/31/2018 14:18 (#7209797 - in reply to #7209708)
Subject: RE: I feel like I’ve been hit by a bus... Johne’s disease... what’s a guy supposed to do?

NEMO
I know what you are saying,and your wanting to be honest is commendable. In the real world, it will shake out more like this...it should take most of your top cut hfs for in herd replacements, rest of the hf calves go the sale barn as feeders, not as Craigslist replacement hfs for the next guy. A small producer like you some years won't have enough good hfs (wrong cows have hfs,,,the bull that sired them throws bad bags or bad dispositions, etc.). We gave you the 2 options (1) depopulate and start over (2) blood test multiple years to get out of it,,,both will work. I realize that out east it would be harder to repopulate, but there are several high reputation herds there that you could track down cattle out of. For a novice (no offense intended) stay away from buying salebarn cows to build around. Unless you can track down that someone is legitimately downsizing, most of the salebarn cows need to go to slaughter.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)