AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Almond milking Farm —— funny....
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

FarmerboyRoy
Posted 11/13/2018 13:20 (#7103555 - in reply to #7103000)
Subject: RE: Almond milking Farm —— funny....

NEWI
Your first link talks about cows from New Zealand, I have a Jersey bull catalogue with bulls from New Zealand...all are A2, I also have a catalogue for Jersey bulls in the US.... maybe 1/3 to 1/2 have the A2 characteristic.

Most (generalizing) of the bulls in the US were bred for production (at least the last decade or so) they are now getting more bulls with better components and some with the A2 gene.
There are farms that are exceptions, I have read of one that has all A2 animals or the dairy farmer from stock talk that is running a 6 butterfat (I think is what it was). That takes lots of work and time (type of feed, the herds breed, etc), I applaud them for that.

However, I think it will remain a niche market because generally you give up higher production to have the higher components or other characteristics.

For example, organic herds usually average 2/3 or half of what a conventional herd can do (type of feed, ability to more control breeding dates). Then organic grassfed averages even less than the regular organic because they cant feed grain, or corn silage and animals need to get 60% DM from pasture during grazing season.
This all needs to be documented for the annual inspection..... so its not as easy as some may think.

Sorry for rambling may have gotten a lil off topic.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)