AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Did I figure out test weight?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

rambo
Posted 10/18/2018 06:42 (#7052844 - in reply to #7052106)
Subject: RE: Did I figure out test weight?

Remsen, Iowa

JAnderson - 10/17/2018 18:52 Was pondering test weight today in corn and the thread below got me thinking a little more. Test weight does indeed increase “bushels”. Comparing two varieties or fields or whatever with IDENTICAL yield and the only difference being test weight. Field A fills up 5000 bushel bin, so does field B, remember both have identical yields. Field A is 56lbs TW so math is simple, you have 5000 bushels in both volume (bin is full) and at the elevator, paying for bushels based on WEIGHT, since it weighs 56lbs. Field B has 5000 bushels by volume, but it has 60lb test weight, at the elevator where you are paid by WEIGHT that would equal 5,350 bushels. So yes heavy test weight does increase “bushels”. Before anyone says I would rather have 200bu 56lb corn vs 180 60lb corn, so would I! But that’s not comparing apples to apples.

If the fields have identical yields, both have 5000 bu. in each bin, then then one with the heavy test weight corn will not fill the bin as high as the bin with the lower test weight corn.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)