AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

manually making a variety map in sms
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 9/19/2018 08:23 (#6996353 - in reply to #6995042)
Subject: RE: manually making a variety map in sms

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
If you are able to create your variety map "manually" within SMS, I'm confident that you can export it to a USB stick to use as a variety map in the combine display. This would be possible with an Integra or InCommand 1200, I don't recall if that feature was added to an Insight. I have never tried creating a variety map manually but it is likely possible.

I plant with an InCommand 1200 in the planting tractor but use a different InCommand 1200 in the spray tractor which gets moved to the combine. That means the variety maps are not in the 1200 in the combine.

I have several choices. 1) physically move the planting InCommand to the combine 2) backup up the 1200 in the planting tractor to a USB stick, put the stick in the combine 1200 and restore ( I would then lose the spray maps unless I backed up that 1200). 3) use a printed map and change the varieties by hand in the combine or 4) make reference maps from the variety maps in SMS and temporarily load them into the combine 1200. Another choice is not to be concerned about the varieties in the combine and do all analysis after harvest within SMS

Since I don't have a lot of variety changes within a field any of the methods would be acceptable. This year, I used approach #4 of exporting out the reference variety maps to a USB stick. This stick remains in the display and I need to choose the appropropriate map when I start to harvest a field.

For those unfamiliar with the approach, the steps are as follows: get a variety map for a field created within SMS. This can come from an Ag Leader display in the planting tractor, a different supported display such as a Deere display, 20/20 etc or possibly a "hand" created variety map as the original post suggests, export out the variety map as a reference map to a USB stick. This stick is inserted into the Ag Leader display in the combine. Once the field is chosen, it is possible to temporarily load the background reference map from the USB stick. The automatic variety switching or warning will behave as if the field were planted with that display. This reference variety map can remain in the background and is overwritten as harvest progresses.

For example, the field I stared with was all one variety so the background map was all in blue except for the wet spots which weren't planted so they were white. As I started harvesting the blue was overwritten by the yield (or moisture etc) color. The spots that were planted but drowned out remained blue after the area was harvested.

The variety map does not become part of the combine display's memory, it is only a temporary reference map while harvesting that field. If the field is left for another field, the reference map for that field would need to be loaded. If returning to the first field, its variety reference map would need to be loaded again. This may sound confusing but is actually very smooth.

For me swapping the displays or doing a backup and restore worked fine but the reference map approach works nicely also.

Using the reference map idea is ideal for situations where the planting was done with a non Ag Leader display or possibly different planters in the same field. Once the complete variety map is created within SMS, it can exported out to a USB stick or multiple sticks if the field is going to be harvested with more than one Ag Leader equipped combine. For large operations where the field might be planted with multiple planters and/or harvested with multiple combines each combine could have a complete picture of the varieties involved.

Edited by tedbear 9/19/2018 08:30
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)