AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Butanol JonSCKs
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

jross
Posted 8/16/2018 07:10 (#6932112 - in reply to #6931936)
Subject: New economics for butanol?

2.8 x $1.36 = $3.80 ethanol value/bu
2.5 x $1.92 = $4.80 butanol value/bu
These numbers loosely approximate ethanol to butanol value tied to btu content. If you also consider RVP and water absorption and pipeline compatibility issues it seems to me that butanol would be a high value product compared to ethanol.......I migrate between Illinois and Florida. It is true that ethanol blended gasoline in Florida is a pain in the a$$ for any application that does not have a sealed gas tank like modern automobiles, if the tank is vented, you have problems with storage for more than short periods of time. I have not had this problem here in Illinois.(low dew points during winter in the north is not like high dew point winters that can be had in FL. Then throw in marine environments in FL and you have a real problem compared to ethanol free fuel. Been there, done that

If my assumptions are correct, and oil companies don't have to worry about fuel quality issues, I think butanol becomes a no brainer.
There is usually more profit from higher quality products in every area of the economy.

https://www.renewableenergyworld.com/articles/2006/09/why-isnt-butan...
Environmental Energy Inc. (EEI) has developed and patented technology that they believe overcomes the limitations that have to date kept the cost of butanol production from corn and other forms biomass high. EEI claims they can produce 2.5 gallons of butanol from corn with no acetone or ethanol, whereas most other processes have not been able to achieve better than 1.3 to 1.9 gallons of butanol per bushel and still utilize an ABE process.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)