AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

4440 Question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

WItitan2
Posted 7/19/2018 21:49 (#6880927 - in reply to #6880518)
Subject: RE: 4440 Question

Pierce county WI
I just row crop now, but I grew up dairy farming, and milked cows for myself for quite a while too. I've said it before, but I'll tell you how I became a John Deere guy. Go ahead, grab a fresh beer.......... My grandpa loved 2 cylinder John Deeres. My dad hated them. My dad liked binders. I took pride in the tractors growing up. So when I started farming on my own, I started with ih. When the time came to buy a nice cab tractor, I had a black stripe 1466 with a factory cab, I went to look at a 7130. Now even though I grew up liking binders, I always said I wanted a 4440. Tractor pulling, they beat 1066s all the time. And that cab! Anyway, the dealer had a 7130 I went to look at. Now my local John Deere dealer had a 4440 on the lot, and I went to drive up to look at it many times, and really secretly wanted it. The dealer with the 7130, had a rough 4440 with a 4630 engine in it. I sat in the Magnum, and it was nicer than the 1466, no real shock. But it felt big, too big. I needed a tractor to chop with a 3950 chopper, and pull a 3000 gallon manure tank, and do tillage. But if I wanted to pull my 9' haybine, I couldn't see the 7130 on the haybine. The 4440 was what I wanted. I asked the dealer how much for that rough 4440. He only wanted 1500-2000 less than the 7130! I asked why? He said he could sell 4440s any time. I didn't buy that one, and he really wanted me to buy the Magnum. I said I'll think about it. I asked my local dealer what they had among their other stores to compete with the 7130. They said we've got the 4440 I had been wanting for ever, and a 4450. The 4450 was a beautiful tractor. I made a deal on that tractor. That began my farm operating Deere tractors. That first 4450 was simply awesome. The 4455 I traded it in on was too. I never had a lemon Deere. I could buy those tractors run them and sell them for more than I paid for them. Eventually I sold my cows, and an 8200 replaced my soundgards. Until I bought an 8960! Ok, that's a little bigger. A few years ago, I fullfilled my 4440 dream. I owned a lot of soundgards, but only one 4440, and it was rough, and just one to fix up and sell. I never had a nice 4440. Then I got my current 4440. I'm second owner, and it's my favorite tractor, even though I have newer tractors. It's a perfect go to tractor. So look at this one. Couple things- check the hydraulic pressures. If they check out and you buy it, first thing you should do- drop the pan, roll a set of rods and mains in. They were the greatest small dairy farm tractor period. Small enough to do the little jobs, but just big enough to do big jobs. And most importantly, they are all heart! They are the little tractor that could, and has done for many years, on many farms. Good luck, and post pictures if you buy it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)