AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Jon Hagen
Posted 10/7/2006 15:51 (#49430 - in reply to #49420)
Subject: RE:Well whada you know ???

Hagen Brothers farms,Goodrich ND
Headed for the shop after dinner to attend to my old Italian built,Black & Decker "professional" chop saw. They gears were getting a little noisy the last few days,and I thought it was time for a gearcase repack with that #1 EP grease I like so well. Opened it up and found the gears still covered with grease with little wear, BUT metal fatigue I suspect is setting in as a couple teeth are breaking up on the spindle gear.
Now this has been one of the most dependable power tools I have ever owned. Bought it from the local hardware store 20 something years ago for a bit over $200 and have cut a train load of steel with it over the years. Never any problems with switch,motor,brushes,anything!! Have only repacked that gear case every 5 years or so when it started getting noisy. Have abused it by cutting big 3-4 inch square or round solid stock and not stopped until you could smell the flavor of the motor insulation.
This thing is a known good unit that I would replace with another just like it if they were still available.
I clicked the HF icon on the desktop to see what they had in metal cutting saws.
The "special" is a $50 2 hp(ha ha) 35 pound unit,but last in line of saws is the Chicago Electric "industrial" unit at 3-1/2 hp and 42 pounds for about $140. I look at the picture,and what do you know,it's my old B&D professional now wearing a Chicago Electric decal !!.
Will I buy one from them for 1/4 less $$ than I paid for one over 20 years ago,not even considering the inflation cost? well,you know what they say about if bears dump in the woods :)

Edited by Jon Hagen 10/7/2006 17:12

(BD chop saw.JPG)

(HF Chop saw.gif)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments BD chop saw.JPG (24KB - 172 downloads)
Attachments HF Chop saw.gif (46KB - 144 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)