AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

new versus old tractors?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Mav
Posted 10/6/2006 09:34 (#49130 - in reply to #49064)
Subject: RE: Nothing wrong with newer

I agree. Cost of fixing vs. buying is the determinant on how disposable something is. It just depends on what produces the greatest amount of benefit for the cost. My problem is the sentimental value attached to the older equipment. But of course, the newer equipment does provide the benefit of “keeping up with the Joneses.”

I agree about the electronics. If designed properly they should be highly reliable. Conversely, I do not know if manufacturers are designing electronics in the 6-Sigma failure range given from my readings in other posts.

For my situation, I am more readily capable to fix something mechanical rather that electrical. Hence, I can discount the repair bill by devoting my own time and labor. Since I lack the tools and resources to diagnose electrical/computer problems, I am not as confident in my ability to work on the newer equipment. And, I highly doubt I will invest in the equipment and/or software to do it. I cannot count the times I read the post, “What does Code XX mean? Oh well, I will just have to wait two days and call the dealer next Monday.”

I think the trend with newer equipment is that it will necessitate a dealership to fix problems in order to help generate revenue. Of course, that journey will require venturing past the salesman’s office with an ostentatious 0% interest until ‘XX on all new purchases sticker on the door.

Mav

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)