AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Just curious....
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

LHaag
Posted 12/23/2008 21:44 (#545291 - in reply to #545052)
Subject: RE: Just curious....

Colby, Kansas
"Why can't they just use the same number as the straight stuff and put RR or BR or VT or LL or whatever behind the number?"

I was selling for Garst when the traited products first came out. For the first several years thats exactly how it was, same hybrid number with the trait abbreviations following. Then they decided to give each version their own number, I screamed hollered etc, because it made it so much more complicated to remember which new numbers were all really the same hybrid. I was told too many guys were grabbing non-RR corn and dumping it into the planter because all the read was the number not the letters after it. Their solution for people who couldn't pay attention was to give each trait combination a new number. Of course it appears that everything will be triple stack or quad stack soon so it may be a moot point again.

In the Garst system the first two are maturity (82xx being long season and 88xx being sort seasoned) the next two dont really mean anything. The new hybrids have had a ltter added that I'm not sure means anything either. ex 85K16 is a 109 day product, 8884CB/LL is a 93 day product.

Lucas
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)