AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Old IH corn heads
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

boog
Posted 12/23/2008 08:43 (#544474 - in reply to #544249)
Subject: Re: Old IH corn heads

The early 9xx series heads had some gearbox problems but those were recalled & dealers rebuilt them, or at least they did on the one I had.

Thru the years I have owned 7xx, 8xx, 9xx, & 10xx heads. I have also owned a JD & a MF head during that time & IMO the IH / CIH heads have been one of the better heads on the market during their time. Like Pofarmer said, the 8xx heads tend to be a heavier head than the 9s & 10s.

For your acres a 6 row would be plenty of head. 1480 / 1688 will toy with it. If you're thinking about increasing acreage in the future you might want to consider an 8 row. Though a 6 row will get over a 1,000 ac

One thing that needs to be taken in consideration is planter size, not sure if you mentioned that or not. It's best in the head matches up with your planter or is is divisable of your planter. Can be a PITA to have to pick bulk rows unless you're a really good planter man or have autosteer on the planter tractor. Even then there can be problems. I have done it in the past but wouldn't recomend it. Worst case with a 6 row head would be planting with a 8 row planter, you're on bulk rows 3 out of 4 thrus. 4 row head with 6 row planter or 8 row head & 12 row planter you are only shelling bulk rows every third thru.

Edited by boog 12/23/2008 09:01
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)