AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Are there any tax benefits for an estate selling land to a beginner farmer?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

jcolli140
Posted 1/18/2018 08:32 (#6513881)
Subject: Are there any tax benefits for an estate selling land to a beginner farmer?

SC Wisconsin
I had spoke with an older gentleman who owned a decent size piece of ground near me maybe 8 years ago and had asked him if he had considered selling it. He said it is in an estate for my kids so that will be up to them. He passed a couple years after that, so after I gave them some time I called the one son and told him about my conversation with his dad and just said if you are ever interested I would like a chance at it, he said I appreciate the offer but given the rules of the estate we can't do anything for 5 years so all I can tell you at this time is call us back in 5 years. Well 5 years will be up this summer, so I was thinking of giving him a call in the near future and asking if they are considering selling it or if they will continue to rent it out. He lives a ways away and they have nothing to do with running it or anything as they have never been involved with the land, it was more of an investment on his father's part from what I have gathered. When I call him, I would like to let him know that I am still interested in it and would still like a shot at it if they decided to sell it. Is there anything out there that gives a tax break to someone selling land to someone using the beginning farmer loan or is that something I am dreaming up? I thought I remembered reading something about that on here, but it may have just been some one saying they should do something like that. I don't want to give him a sob story or anything, but if there is anything that I could use as leverage to give me a leg up I could use all the help I can get. Thanks

Edited by jcolli140 1/18/2018 09:23
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)