AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

electric easement
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Jay NE Ohio
Posted 1/18/2018 12:13 (#6514411 - in reply to #6513765)
Subject: RE: electric easement

northeastern Ohio
I do not have any experience with electric easements. But I am familiar with natural gas line easements. With any kind of easement, you need negotiate the agreement FIRST and then you can negotiate for money second. Need to set the width of the right of way (ROW), number of lines allowed, surface restrictions, temporary work space, remediation procedures, crop damage during the installation, crop damage during future repairs, who will fix the tile lines (it's always best to have them pay YOU to have them repaired), WHEN payment will be received, when will agreement terminate (if they don't begin construction by X-X-XX, then agreement becomes void, OR when lines are removed the agreement terminates and easement goes back to grantor) protecting the soil during construction, allowing access points to the rest of your farm during construction, ect......................... Way too much to list here!

If you can get them to bore the line in at a depth below the tile, it is a win/win for you. Yes they can bore 1/4 mile without any surface damage.

Value: I would take less if they were willing to bore with no surface damages. If they won't agree, it is probably worth $50 to $200 per lineal foot depending on circumstances. If the area they want could be developed into something more valuable than farmland in the future (housing development, industrial park, cell phone tower, wind turbine, ect) then it should be in the upper range. If this is wooded swampland, then at the lower range. Farmground in the middle.

Good luck. Don't be the first to sign, but don't be the last. These easements usually take about year for the company to procure. Wait 6 months before making any agreement, but keep negotiating the whole time.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)