AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Planter problem precision
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 1/16/2018 11:17 (#6509417 - in reply to #6509310)
Subject: RE: Planter problem precision

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
Deere7000 - 1/15/2018 22:27

For this spring I want to upgrade meters from original Deere meters. My question is I bought 3 bushel poly boxes already and then found out esets will not fit it. So should I go to vset? And will I have enough tractor to run it ? John Deere 4440 on a 16 row 7200 2 vac motors ran through one set of lines. They said I will need 20” of vaccume. Is it worth it? Will be mostly beans this year but will be more corn in the future. 50 acres of corn and 450 of beans unless I pick up more

Dad bought an early 7200 vacuum. It came with the original boxes. We tried to plant sweet corn with it in a very dry year where the fields were overly smooth. With sweet corn, we finally figured out that it was bridging in the boxes. I believe it was the next year or maybe a year later that Deere changed the shape of the boxes. At that point in time Deere came out with their sweet corn kit which is now called Pro 40. This required getting the newer style boxes. I got a set through whole goods which was much cheaper than through parts. This meant that I had two sets of boxes. I used the one set for soybeans and the newer set for sweet corn and then later for field corn.

The downside of using the Pro 40s for corn was that since they had 40 holes per revolution instead of 30 that the transmission speed needed to be set much lower. This was part of the reason they worked better. The problem could be that since the setting was in the lower part of the range, the population jumps were considerable from one choice to the next. This meant that it may not have been possible to pick the population we desired.

When I traded the planter in on a new one, I put the original boxes back on and sold the newer style privately. I only mention this to confirm that there was a difference in the boxes. ESets didn't exist at the time but I can see where there might be a problem using them with the original boxes.

Concerning the vaccum level. I now have a 24 row 1770NT with two vac pumps. It is being pulled by an 8310R which has sufficient hydraulic capability. I did need to change the vac gauges on the planter since the originl ones could not display the higher vac levels needed with eSets. Precicion has them. They fit right in Deere's holders.

I'm not certain about the 4440 hydraulic capabilities with two vac pumps. I've never run that combination.

Edited by tedbear 1/16/2018 11:20
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)