AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Home Automation System
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

guessrow
Posted 1/26/2018 08:47 (#6532519 - in reply to #6504406)
Subject: RE: Home Automation System

Le Sueur VIA St.Thomas

I have been using a Samsung SmartThings Hub for quite a while. I am using mine to control lights, thermostats, garage door, gas fireplace, camera, monitor door positions, etc. Mine is connected to Google Home as well. I can control things by voice, smart phone, or web interface. It's a bit of a novelty to be able to control lights or the garage temperature from my couch, but the real 'automation' happens when your not available to manage things yourself.

SmartThings allows you to add or create programs for real 'automation' It can be as easy as using a motion sensor to turn on a light if you walk into a room at night, or as complex as shutting the garage door after my wife. I have a heated garage and a pressure washer that can't freeze. So... If someone comes home (an I'm not there to remind them to shut the door because it's winter and heater is on) and leaves the garage door open, Samsung monitors the situation for me. If the door has been open for more than X amount of minutes, and if the heater is running, and if there has been no motion in the garage for x amount of minutes and if there are no obstructions at the door, a beeper will beep for x amount of seconds and then the garage door will close. Now, if there is an obstruction and the door won't close, my pressure washer still won't freeze. I also have a sensor in the pressure washer cabinet and if the temperature drops below 40 a small electric heater turns on and heats the pump, keeping it from freezing. 

That sort of control is what I like about home automation; acting as a second set of 'eyes' even when I'm not around. I can even set it up to send me a text if something happens.

good luck -jim

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)