AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Importing a .yld
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 1/6/2018 07:33 (#6482780 - in reply to #6482026)
Subject: RE: Importing a .yld

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
Ag Leaders data format has changed through the years. Early systems had the ability for just monitoring or monitoring/mapping. If you were just going to do monitoring, the running totals, averages etc were retained in the display itself. This summary data could be transferred to a computer with a cable and no memory card was needed. If monitoring/mapping was desired, the system needed a GPS and a memory storage device. The point by point data was written to the memory storage device continuously as the display did not have enough memory to hold this amount of information.

As I recall with a PF3000 and some others, the system checked to see if a new data file should be created by comparing today's date with the last .yld file. If a new file was indicated, the system wrote the current summary information to the first part of the new file. The summary information such as field names, totals etc. was current at that point in time. This reserved portion was a fixed size. This meant that whether an operator had one field or thirty, the file size would be of that fixed size at that point in time.

If the memory device were removed, the summary information would be correct with no new harvesting information. Usually some harvesting was done during that day so the file size started to grow. That means all legitimate .yld files would be of at least a certain size (105K comes to mind). The file size would grow as necessary to accommodate the point by point data. The ultimate size of the file was determined by the recording interval (1, 2 or 3 seconds) and the hours of harvesting.

While the harvesting was being done, the summary information that had been written to the first part of the file was no longer current so when the operator indicated that they wished to shut down, the system would overwrite the summary portion of the memory file with updated information. Some of the original information would have been correct but the yield totals, averages, etc. would have changed. There was also the possibility that new fields were added.

So the complete process for creating a .yld file was to create it with current summary information, add point by point data while harvesting and then update the summary information at the end of the session.

If the last part about updating the summary information was not done due to an improper shutdown, the .yld file may not be usable since the summary information in the first part of the file was not current. I believe this to be the root of your problem. I believe you indicated that the system would create a new file after starting the combine if the PF3000 had been left on. I'm thinking the problem occurred then as the previous file was not properly updated before the new file was created. If the PF3000 had been shut down properly, the system would have closed the data file properly before shutting itself off. Remember turning off the power switch is a signal to the PF3000 to prepare to shut itself down and is different than just removing the power.

I believe the best advice for the future is to shut down the PF3000 at the end of each session. If the PF3000 was left on, do a normal shutdown before trying to start the combine again. This should force the system to close the file and other bookkeeping items. Then start the combine and turnthe PF3000 on for the new day.

Edited by tedbear 1/6/2018 07:38
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)