AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

CORS vs Private Base via Cellular
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

GTD
Posted 12/26/2017 20:41 (#6455714 - in reply to #6453196)
Subject: RE: CORS vs Private Base via Cellular

Effingham, IL

farmer.z - 12/25/2017 16:19

So my question to you guys is as follows: Do you think I need to worry about being 10-15 miles from the base station corrections?

That depends upon the make and model of your GPS receiver. Most of the newer GPS technology can handle this distance with ease. By newer technology I'm referring to these models or newer"

• Trimble 262, 372, & 750
  • Deere SF3000 or newer
  • Ag Leader Paradyme/GeoSteer or newer
Most of the GPS technology available today is capable of sub-inch accuracy out to 30 miles or more, depending on the brand.  One thing to keep in mind though is that WISCORS is a Virtual Base Network so distance is not an issue. However, in recent years WISCORS hasn't been the most reliable, so you should probably factor that into your decision making process.

Is VRS corrections to each machine worth the added subscription expenses?

If you are going to be using multiple machines at the same time and you need RTK corrections in each, then yes, multiple subscriptions are worth the expense.

Do you think I need to worry about correction age/reliability sharing it through my wireless internet correction.

Unless you are connected to a very slow network, then no, correction age probably won't be an issue.

I think I should be able to round up a used base receiver and L1/L2 globe for $1k - $1.5k. Tractor hardware would be close to the same cost for either option. Using that pricing in mind, do you guys think it is better to invest in my own station or to pay for CORS? Aaron

You can pick up something in that range but in my experience you get what you pay for. You also need to consider how you are going to broadcast the corrections. Will you use radio or cellular? You'll need a radio or caster software. With radio, if you are broadcasting much beyond 10-12 miles, you'll need to go with 400 Mhz instead on 900. This will add additional cost. The caster software is free, but do you have a "server" that will be connected to the internet all the time? Also, internet speed and outages are much more of a factor when you are broadcasting and receiving both at the same time.

**Full Disclosure** I sell and service MyWay RTK. We have a base station just outside of Watertown. If you have interest, shoot me an email.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)