AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Advantages of dry fertilizer on planter?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

GM Guy
Posted 11/18/2017 19:47 (#6374023)
Subject: Advantages of dry fertilizer on planter?

NW KS/ SC ID
Hey all,

I am keeping an eye out for a planter for next year, and some of the ones I have come across have dry fertilizer instead of liquid. What are the advantages or disadvantages of having dry instead of liquid?

If a person is gearing up for granular fertilizer (If you can call me buying a pair of dry spreaders at an auction "gearing up" :) ) is the on planter application the only way a person could apply dry in a no-till situation without buying more equipment? It seems running a broadcast spreader on no-till is a waste of time and product, or will the majority of it work its way into the soil if it gets rained on?

Is there any reason for a person to consider doing both dry and liquid on the planter, or would that likely burn the plant? I was thinking maybe moving the granular openers to one side for slow release, and have liquid out the back for liquid starter? The only thing I dont like about that idea is that would be putting tanks on the tractor, and with the junk I run, I really dont want any one tractor dedicated to planter rig in case of a breakdown, I want to be able to unhitch and go, and if there is a leak, I dont want liquid fert. anywhere near my tractor, no matter how big of a paintless pile it already is. :)

Any input greatly appreciated,
Thanks!

Edited by GM Guy 11/18/2017 19:48
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)