AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Kids and activities
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

grainbinder
Posted 9/21/2017 13:39 (#6261670)
Subject: Kids and activities

western WI
What is everyones thought on the number of activites your kids should be in or belong? We actually never took a family summer mini vacation this year because the kids were in so many activites. I was reading about a high school senior who was given a top 4H award from the county farm bureau. The following is a list of things he was in:

4H - two officer posistions, 9 year member.
12 fair items to the county fair every year, including animals
drama
music
dairy judging
club performance

FFA member
chapter FFA president

football
wrestling
power lifting
band
church activites

My question is, when did the kid get to be a kid? Look at all the running to and fro that mom and dad are responsible for! I know of this family and it seems they feed on as many activites as possible as it turns into a competition to try and beat everyone else out to be on top. It also seemingly turns into a contest to be invovlved in more items than anyone else on the block. How can any kid do any kind of quality in anything when you are spread so thin? Yet they are the ones that get the lions share of the awards. If memory is correct, mom and dad used to be the same way. To each their own, but being like this teaches a kid nothing IMO.

And to mom and dad....doesn't this cost money X 3 kids?? Who is milking the cows? Who is doing the housework? Who is doing the fieldwork? How can they afford this?

There were these types of farm kids back when I was in school, needless to say, most all of these families no longer farm and I guess all of the dairy judging and 4H and ffa awards were useless because these kids are not on the farm today.
How do you decide what and the number of things your kids will be involved with?

Edited by grainbinder 9/21/2017 14:24
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)