AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Apparently hog farms are racist
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

paul the original
Posted 9/20/2017 10:15 (#6259294 - in reply to #6258956)
Subject: RE: Apparently hog farms are racist

southern MN
Lot of hog barns around here. Can see three of them from my house, a 4th is as close but a hill between us.

Back when I rode the bus after school, I was on the bus 70 minutes every afternoon on rural gravel roads. Every 4th farm yard stunk and I mean brought tears to your eyes. Pigs were the 'mortgage lifters' back then and every 3rd or 4th farm had a 4-10 sow hog operation in a little hog barn on the place.

Man that stunk. Up and down ever gravel road. But everyone had that next door, and it just was. No noe made anything of it.

The common 500 head barn, 4 barn setups around here now have very little smells. In spring when they empty the pits it will stink bad for three days. One barn has gotten into spreading manure on alfalfa after every cutting, and any summer application they csn find on small grains or the like. A lot of that is on land bordering mine. Yup, it smells for a couple days.

Far, far less than the old 4-10 sow operations of decades ago tho. Far less smelly in a year's time!

So now I curl my nose and think, oh geez about 10 days a year..... but then I remember how it used to be with the little operations, and it just stunk all over all the time.

No,one remembers, but it used to be worse.

Paul
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)