AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Organic guys no-till into sod?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

rank
Posted 9/21/2017 07:26 (#6260986 - in reply to #6260015)
Subject: RE: Organic guys no-till into sod?

SEON
slvr98svt - 9/20/2017 19:08
.... would not be able to get on the land until spring so that cancels out a cover crop.
Just wanted to make sure it was going to be a moldboard and cultivator in my future!

I don't envy your position.

Problem 1:
HERE (on the 44rth parallel not far from you), because the sod won't have time to mellow, spring tillage will means your seed bed is clumps of grass roots. Seed placement will be crap and you won't be able to follow your planter mark worth a darn and your rows will be crooked.

Problem 2:
When you come along with your row cultivator, you will move the clumps and uncover your seedlings.

Problem 3:
Because your rows are crooked, you will wipe out plants and have escapes after cultivating.

Problem 4:
Corn needs N, which you cannot apply because you are trying to do this organically. This means all of your N must come from the previous crop, which in your case is grass. My soil tests show that old sod will only provide 50-70 lbs of N equivalent HERE, which seems to be accurate because I only yield ~40 bu fall wheat. A corn crop would be disappointing behind sod I think

I'm not sure why you want to do this organically. I have a feeling you're not an organic farmer. If you aren't certified, you can't get the big bucks when you sell it.

Edited by rank 9/21/2017 07:48
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)