AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

It's gonna be hard to tell
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

MJD02
Posted 8/21/2017 15:35 (#6201219 - in reply to #6201109)
Subject: RE: 34,000 acre field of corn.......

West River, SD
It might have been the 70s when that guy came in. Not too sure. I'm sure that some of the better ground was in crop production or hay-crp when he bought it, and some of it had not been in crop production since the homestead days or ever. I assume that they used heavy disks. I would guess that he put the ground into crop production as soon has he could, but don't think that he bought the land in one parcel. The bulk of the place is west of Highway 14 between Hayes and Midland, and there is also some land north of Philip, around the Milesville area, but I am thinking that maybe that part of the place has been sold.

A guy between Pierre and Hayes built a large reservoir and ran a few pivots from it, but I have heard that he just about went broke trying to make it work. You can still see the reservoir along highway 14, but it is now washed out. There was one pivot listed on a sale bill for the Diamond Ring land, but getting water would be a problem for most areas. Also, the soil type would possibly not be good for irrigation. In my area, irrigation would eventually turn soil into an alkali spot.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)