AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

WAAS.....how accurate ?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 8/19/2017 06:33 (#6196557 - in reply to #6196261)
Subject: RE: WAAS.....how accurate ?

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
Kelly - 8/18/2017 20:48

I have used WAAS for several years and have used Omnistar for 2 years. WAAS most of the time will put my sprayer within 2-3 inches of the tracks I may have made a month ago or 3 months ago. This is in wheat stubble so tracks are easy to see. One day, I might pull in and open the same line and sprayer will be running beside the previous tracks (18" error).

Omnistar XP is usually better but I have seen WAAS type errors with it also.

I agree there is a wide range of acceptable performance depending on your location, operation and temperament. I have several units and "split the difference". I used to use Omnistar on the planting tractor (row crops) and WAAS on the other units. This meant that I had only one paid subscription per year. I am one that feels that WAAS is not good enough for auto steer when planting.

Since I have gone with Ag Leader's trade-up program I now use TerraStar C (subscription required) in the planting tractor and WAAS on the other two tractors. I move one of the displays to the combine which doesn't utilize auto steer. The GPS there is an older Raven Phoenix on WAAS only. WAAS is plenty good on the combine.

I have been happy with this approach. There have been a few times through the years that I've had some mysteries but generally this has been very acceptable.

To confuse my situation even more, TerraStar L is now available to me. This is a paid subscription whose price is cheaper than TerraStar C. Its accuracy/repeatability is supposedly between WAAS and TerraStar C.

Edited by tedbear 8/20/2017 09:04
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)