AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What I want to do
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

MNRyeGrower
Posted 8/14/2017 16:06 (#6186374 - in reply to #6183968)
Subject: RE: What I want to do

Central MN

Thank you for your reply Tom.  Those are excellent soul searching questions that I will address.  My frustration early on with this topic was due to being informed by a crop consultant that the Satellite imagery was the best source of mapping to guide the creation of Zones.  Having spent an entire day searching the internet for satellite images and then trying to figure out how to USE the images with no success whatsoever is what prompted my inquiry here.  This is the first place and the first question I have asked on the subject and this is the reason my question is somewhat vague since I really don't even know where to start.

I am fairly computer and tech savvy in other areas and this is a new area for me so I am green but not without the tools to figure it out.  TO be honest I was a bit disappointed with myself for not being able to figure it out on my own with internet searches and began to wonder if there was some key pieces that I was missing that could help me along.  Specifically the ability to import in a satellite image and define the gps coordinates of a nice basic square field based on the image and then somehow (through some magic simple to use tool??) define the zones.  Once defined start doing soil samples by these zones and compare them to soil type maps and yield maps for some basic decision making and maybe even prescriptions for Limestone, Fertilizer and eventually even Variable Rate Planting.  I had hopes that SMS would be tailored to this but at first blush that really does not appear to be the case.

My yield data is sparse as I only recently started using a yield monitor.  But I wanted to get the ball rolling so that as I gather information I can start using it.

I guess if I was to ask a specific question it would be what site do I find usable satellite imagery and then how do I get it into SMS to see it based on a defined field map?  That will at least get me started with one item of success.  From there I can build on things.

Again, thank you very much for your time in your response.  I look forward to making an attempt at this and any help is appreciated.

(and yes, I do grow more than just Rye.  Its just that Rye gave me a great start and I still grow a lot of it).

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)