AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Orthman Tracker IV and Greenstar?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

Bob980
Posted 11/24/2008 08:56 (#515269 - in reply to #515241)
Subject: RE: Orthman Tracker IV and Greenstar?

NW KS
dlvr, I have run with the sway blocks in and out with problems both ways. I haven't run with them in for awhile but it seemed to prevent the tractor from steering very well. I might try it with them in again. I should explain that the DMI is a 13 shank machine, so we can drive between the old rows to save tires and keep all of the stubble upright (important to keep trash from drifting in 50-60 mph winds). Driving between the rows also helped our tractor to steer better last fall. The main problem with the articulated tractor steering is its tendency to "crab" steer up against the old row especially when trying to straighten old rows messed up by GPS drift, so even if the receiver on the tractor is in the right place I don't think the implement is. By crab steering I mean that the tractor is not running straight down the row, but with some constant steering angle. And when I'm not centered between old rows, the closing disks on the DMI will catch the stalk and I bet they try and pull the machine over. Just my thoughts on the issue.

P.S. I had an idea of using a JD ATU that we already have for a sprayer to control either a standard hydraulic steering valve or a rotary potentiometer to control the Orthman Tracker.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)