AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Orthman Tracker IV and Greenstar?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

dlver
Posted 11/24/2008 08:31 (#515241 - in reply to #515042)
Subject: RE: Orthman Tracker IV and Greenstar?

Boyden, Iowa Sioux County
I have the Trimble TrueTracker system that I use on a 16 row mounted planter and 8 row mounted Orthman 1tRIPr strip till that pulls a 1330 Flexi-Coil air cart. The TrueTracker is a 2 blade that I've used for planting 2 seasons and now 2 seasons on the strip-till (it was a B&H strip till last Fall).

I use the system on contour fields with terraces and the 2 blade has been sufficient here, it will steer around curves that are difficult for the combine corn head to negotiate. I had thought on the terraces, with the side hill, and curve that there could be difficultly holding the line with the cart also pulling on the strip till bar, but have not had a problem with the steering. You'll have to consider soil types, I would think a lighter sandy soil would need more blades in the ground to steer.

The Orthman 1 tRIPr is run 8" deep and with the front depth band coulters there is a lot of iron in the ground to move, but that has not been a problem. I watch the display for the "Implement Offline Distance" while running in the field and it is under 1" the majority of the time. In a tight curve it might momentarily read up to 2" but quickly moves under 1". I can also monitor the degree of turn that the blades are at (I think 7 degrees is the max) on the tightest curves I've seen about 4-5 maximum with 2-3 degree more common. On the straight and level it will steer at under 1 degree most of the time.

I run without any sway blocks on the 3 point (JD 7920) to allow the Tracker to do its work. When you say that you have "wandering caused by old corn rows and articulated tractor steering behavior" I'll assume you have your sway blocks tight? That would explain the articulated tractor steering behavior issue, but if their tight how do the old corn rows affect the "drift"?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)