AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Gleaner owners, is this normal?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

dpilot83
Posted 8/10/2017 09:24 (#6178046)
Subject: Gleaner owners, is this normal?

I have an S67. Through various experiments and communicating with a custom harvest crew that has run Gleaners for many years I have settled in to pulling the sieve completely and switching the small grains chaffer for the long round tooth chaffer when I harvest corn. I know that I could get 80% of my shoe capacity by just switching chaffers but since I am already most of the way to pulling the sieve when I am switching chaffers I just pull the sieve and get it over with.

I believe it is a problem with a lack of airflow. I get grain walking off the chaffer even when it's nearly wide open due to not enough airflow on the chaffer to get it to loft into the air some.

Removing the sieve seems to allow extra airflow to the chaffer and allows me to get up above 3,500 bushels per hour in dry corn. If I don't remove the sieve I seem to max out at less than 3,000 bushels per hour.

Switching is not a big deal in the off season but if I ever decided to grow sorghum again, I think it would be very disagreeable switching back and forth several times in season.

So is this normal?

Thanks.

Edited by dpilot83 8/10/2017 09:25
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)