AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

DJI Phnatom 4 help needed
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Drone TalkMessage format

paul the original
Posted 8/4/2017 09:46 (#6167096 - in reply to #6165852)
Subject: RE: update and further question

southern MN
I have difficulties when something is between me and the drone - trees, power line, building.

When I can can see the drone directly I have not noticed a problem? It would be possible the signal is bouncing off the bin and confusing the drone maybe? I have not experienced that.

The higher you are, the more chance the signal can get around (over) obsticales.

Starting out, I would fly in the open and keep the drone well above tree height and well within sight. Keep the antennas pointed at the drone, not to the side or with you between the drone and the controller. (You are just as much an obsticale as a tree or building...)

I like to fly sitting in my UTV with a roof as sunshade, but I have to be mindful of the roll cage, at certain angles and distances that can be enough to cause an issue.

When I fly low to the ground I also find problems. Any little hill between can cut off the signal pretty easy, or a scrub tree. It is hard to keep line of site clear when flying low, 50 feet or less, and any distance.

I have a nice clear take of spot by my shed, my farm yard is somewhat centered on the farm. Can fly west and south all I want, if I go too low to the SW tho a hill will interfere. Going east works great but if I curl ne I need to be walking around the machine shed as it gets in the way, and if I want to fly lower to the ne then trees become a problem I need to take off somewhere else to get low pics to the NE ot N.

But I can fly my whole small farm in a loop, and have a few minutes spare time to zone in on something. Really neat.

A person learns where the interference spots are, and where to walk 50 feet to get away from them, or what directions don't work well. It is really good to be flying well over 200 feet as you learn this, gives you a much better chance to rematch the signal before the drone gives up.... I can fly any of the directions if I am at 390 feet with little problems.

Be sure to have the 'return to home' set up right, and take off far from trees and power lines overhead. When it gets lost, my P3 will come back and land 30 feet off from where it took off sometimes, you have to give it a fudge factor....

Paul
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)