AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Planting with autosteer question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

rbrfrm
Posted 11/22/2008 09:49 (#513392 - in reply to #512884)
Subject: RE: Planting with autosteer question

Gridley IL
I planted about 700 acres of corn last spring with SF1 and an ATU200. 240 of it was strip-till. it is fairly accurate just as everyone else said with some shifting after planter fills and such. I used my markers still, but my dad didn't, you couldn't tell a difference. I wrote down the headings from last fall, went to the first 12 rows this spring lined up put the heading in and planted. The tractor and planter stayed on the strip no problem except for the occasional instance as mentioned above. What we found with the strip till was that you thought by looking out the front that you were not on the strip but you looked out the back window and we were dead on, better than we could drive for sure.
You got to remember that i plant with 12 and strip with 12 and combine with 6. It was awful hard to find the guess row this fall. I also spray with a 60 ft sprayer and therefore always on the guess row and there were no issues with running corn down.

I think the only need for RTK in row crops is if you are trying controlled traffic, planting say 16 combine 12 or 6, or strip tilling with different size planters. The biggest thing is the repeatability. I think it depends on the area of the country you are in as well as some will testify to on this board. to be truly repeatable and straight you probably need to have implement guidance due to draft of tillage tools and planters. You also have to take the time with the systems being discussed or any signal for that matter to understand the sensitivity settings and such, its not like you can just push a button and go there is some fine tuning of settings. Just my observations and opinions.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)