AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Knowledgeable help
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

OntarioCanuck
Posted 6/27/2017 19:01 (#6092976)
Subject: Knowledgeable help

North of London
Had to go to town so we took a different route home to 'check the crops'
Coming up to a corner on a county road to turn onto a small sideroad and here come about 10 holstein yearlings up the ditch

My wife says let me out to watch them and go for help.
Sheep farm just ahead, dairy farm 1/2 a kilometre or more down the road so stopped in sheep farm, no body home.

Noticed man getting into truck across road so drove in.
Older man but says they might be from the sheep farm, think he has some calves.

Out to road and my wife is following the calves back down the road trying to slow traffic as the calves follow the shoulder.
Cars slowed some and kept on going but calves passed entrance to sheep farm and continued on and 2 motorcycles came along, slowed and stopped past the calves
Off the bikes and stopped them and then got some to enter the field as i approached from the other side.

So got them all into the field and headed across toward the barns and a small paddock all without having to converse with the bikers on the other side of the group, they seemed to know how to quietly move the calves slowly across the field.

No talk or quick work just gradually directed the calves to the barns and along a fence and into the open gates then as we got closer together realized we knew each other.
Biker was a farmer who is a little younger than me and although i don't remember him having cattle he did know how to drive them and made the job easy.
Glad for experienced help.

And walking back to the road we met the owners coming home, much thanks. Said they were supposed to be in a barn but were at least under control.

Most drivers did not even slow down much but my wife said a couple stopped and asked if they could help but we were almost to the barn then.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)