AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

buying calls yet Rob?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Rob.Cogdill
Posted 6/22/2017 10:10 (#6083998 - in reply to #6083955)
Subject: RE: buying calls yet Rob?

In a van, down by the river.
Everyone's situation is different, of course, but I fear that this will be the third year in a row that producers in our area will find themselves "boxed in" holding too much old-crop in the face of a pretty decent new crop. That may be different than your situation. For customers who ask my opinion today, I'm telling them to consider selling at least something now, and have a target (or several targets) in the market for next Friday's report; if the report doesn't give us something good, then it's time to do something like selling 25% each week, etc.

Sadly, the last several years I've seen producers hang on tight through June with confidence of higher prices (I hear things like "there's still a lot of growing season," or "the crop's real bad out east"), only to watch them sell out in large chunks a dollar or more lower because they need space and don't want to pay any storage. Unfortunately, the market has yet to show us a "clearly profitable" price this summer, so we've bought considerably less during this rally than the last few years. I fear that means that we will see an even greater washout pre-harvest this year if we don't get rescued by some unforeseen bullish event.

As a basis trader, I would prefer to buy sooner (so I can earn some carry), and at higher flat price (because that's when there's maybe a little fat on the basis bone for me to trade...and my customers do better, too), so it doesn't do me any favors to see my producers boxed in.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)