AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

John Deere 4600 Display limitations?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

McFlyAg
Posted 6/20/2017 09:22 (#6080393 - in reply to #6080013)
Subject: RE: John Deere 4600 Display limitations?

Ross93,

I would be cautious to use the phrase "this is just the usual thing of resistance to change". While I am certain that resistance to change can leave a distaste with many users, I think it is important to consider that a new layout may not actually be better. I feel that JD was attempting to make this have a similar feel as an iPad without completely copying their design, kind of like the same way college students copy a paragraph into their paper and change a couple words to avoid plagiarism. While I like the customization of a couple things on the 4600 and the ability to have more options on the run screen, I tend to find myself searching for what I need a lot more, even after working with them very often. Another issue is the amount of confirmation notices that are displayed; select a field "are you sure? > ok" click on A+ "are you sure? > ok" open the door of the machine "are you sure you want to get out? > ok". These extra steps and the amount of customization could make it difficult for dealers to support a user over the phone due to displays not being as standard as the previous displays, but with the ability for RDA and the onscreen help, I think most will be okay.

The 4600 is not ready for the "big time" yet, but with the 4640 and the 4600 being nearly identical in operating system and hardware, I think we will see giant leaps in functionality in the next few software releases.

As for the data portion of Gary's post, I think what he is getting at is that he does not want to pass off his data to another party with the hopes that they will keep it safe and never use it for malicious intent. Just this week we saw the RNC leak over a terabyte of data consisting of more than 200 million peoples information. If you are someone, as I am sure Gary is, who has data going back to the 90's and value it like gold, I would not want to "trust" that a multi-billion dollar company is going to do their best to keep it private and not collect data from it. Right now though, I believe the only option is to upload, let it process, and export as .shp? Or just store them until another software company is able to interpret the data properly. It will be interesting to see how non-JD companies handle the ActiveYield data from new combines...

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)