AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pro700 and Raven 450 not talking for 3rd party
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 6/17/2017 07:41 (#6075365 - in reply to #6075148)
Subject: RE: Pro700 and Raven 450 not talking for 3rd party

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I have no experience with a 450 communicating with a Pro700. I have been successful with a Raven 450 communicating with an Ag Leader Application Rate Module so some of my experience maybe helpful yet it may add to the confusion.

First off, concerning the data-lock. I wouldn't think the data-lock concept is involved with your communication problem. The data-lock concept was added to the Raven 440 family some years ago. The idea is that it can be used to "lock" some of the setup values so the operator doesn't inadvertently change them. With data-lock active, certain values such as the boom width, meter cal, valve cal, speed cal etc. are protected with a Password (actually a number). Values such as the Target Rate(s), Volume and Area totals can be changed as usual.

When you are see the message NEW CODE, this means you have gotten into activating the data-lock process and the system is asking for the CODE that you wish to use. If you would type in 1234 and hit Enter, this would be your new code. If you tried to change the protected values such as the meter cal, you would be asked for CODE and you would need to enter in 1234 before you would be allowed to change the meter cal.

I have had customers who activated this CODE scheme and didn't realize it until they wanted to change one of the protected values. At that point they had no idea what number they had chosen for the CODE. The solution is to get the Raven to forget its entire memory. There are different methods to do this depending on the age. A simple one to try is to power off the Raven with the Power Switch. Press and continue to hold the CE key while the power switch is turned back on. If the Raven sows "CAL" then one can start over entering the various values.

I don't remember anyone actually using the data-lock feature for its intended purpose.

When using a serial cable to the Ag Leader Application Module, a special serial cable was needed. This was not a Raven cable but a cable from Ag Leader specifically for working with a Raven. Ag Leader has two serial cables available. One was for Raven and the other for other brands. Having the correct cable was essential as some pins were tied together in the one in the correct one. This may or may not apply to your situation.

With the Ag Leader combo, both devices needed to be setup properly in their own world. On the Raven side there were four settings that were necessary. 1) data-logger ON, 2) BAUD rate 9600, 3) data units SECONDS 4) data interval 1. This told the Raven to turn on its data logger to output data at a BAUD rate of 9600 and to send the information every 1 second. On the Ag Leader side a configuration needed to be created that told it that it was going to be working with a Raven 450.

To test that the connection was working, I would power them both up. To test that communication was going to the Raven, I would enter in a target rate into the Ag Leader display and watch the Raven Rate 1 value. After entering in the new target rate, the Raven should beep four times and show the new value. If this is successful then communication is established from the Ag Leader to the Raven.

To test for communication, the other direction, watch the applied width on the Ag Leader display, at first it may show zero, As you flip on the Raven Master and various combinations of the section switches you should see a corresponding change in the applied width.

If communication checks out in both directions you should be good to go. For what it is worth, I've found that even with the wrong settings on the Raven side the rate change from the Ag Leader to it seems to get to the Raven but the results from the Raven don't get back to the Ag Leader. This somewhat agrees with your observation about rate changes from the Pro to the 450. The message about NEW CODE is not an error message but a legit message in working with the data-lock scheme. I would avoid messing with data-lock at all.

Again the above comments may not pertain to your situation. At this point, I would suspect 1) incorrect or bad serial cable 2) something still wrong with the 450 (trying a known good loaner would be useful). 3) incorrect settings on one end or the other.

I happen to have a 450 lying on my shelf that you could borrow although we are some distance apart.

With your successful experience in the past, you know it can work. I would be somewhat concerned about eh cable change on the Pro700 side.

Edited by tedbear 6/17/2017 07:46
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)