AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Homemade electric planter drive
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

FarmerFabricator
Posted 5/17/2017 18:38 (#6022014 - in reply to #6021945)
Subject: RE: Homemade electric planter drive

NW Wisconsin
Illinois Steve - 5/17/2017 17:49

I'm not denying your skill set or trying to detract from your little project. My point was that while it is impressive it is not practical for most people to do something like this or deal with maintaining and supporting it. I'm sorry if I offended you but if it is $400 a row for your system or $1000 a row for a commercial system with known reliability and plenty of tech support and parts availability it makes the commercials system seem very affordable. As a long term investment $1000 a row is nothing. That's $24,000 a row on a 24 row planter versus $9600 for your system. That savings of $14,000 amortized over 10 years is a whopping $1400 a year. For me that is a better investment than using an unknown and unproven system that could cost me valuable down time and possibly inferior results. My V-drives are on their fourth year with zero, motor, seed unit, harness, of monitor issues. Check back with me in four years and let me know how many hours you have wrapped up in design, redesign, trouble shooting, retrofitting, and on and on. There is a reason those other systems cost what they do. Now you sound like the kind of guy who can build just about anything and make it work. That is great. It is a true talent. I am just saying that at the end of the day your system might not be as cheap as you think it is.

I'm not trying to say this is perfect, better than anything else, or even trying to sell anything. Just sharing my experience with this project with those interested. And maybe get input from some of the other talent that is here on AgTalk. And help out other people like me that like to experiment, learn how stuff works, and build stuff themselves. I did plenty of testing in the shop this past winter so I was pretty confident it would work. And so far it has a spotless track record on 800 acres. If somthing unforeseen happened with it I could have put chain drive back on in about 2 hours. If it was planting bad, seed digging and monitor would have shurly let me know. At one point I thought I had a problem, row 3 on monitor was showing low populations, so we switched 3 and 4 motor and meter assemblys, and row 3 was still showing low pop. Turns out row 3 sensor was bad. I have no intentions to ever sell a design, or kits. Just maybe helping others learn about this kind of technology and maybe learn more myself.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)