AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Spraying Question chemical for overlap
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

georgejr
Posted 4/25/2017 20:30 (#5982168 - in reply to #5982015)
Subject: RE: Spraying Question chemical for overlap

Wisconsin
Now that is a great sprayer's handle "The Weed Man" ;-)

So I'm assuming if it was your fields you would add the extra to the chemical list so you had enough to spray at the full rate. But it is also acceptable to either increase the water or decrease the rate to come out as long as you're still within the approved rate for the field weed pressure. Chemicals aren't delivered yet so I can tweak as needed.

What do you normally see for extra on average or how much do you reduce the rate for producers who only have the exact chemicals for the field size? When I went to section control I saw a reduction last season on my required loads / field by around 3-5% and I was thinking I was doing good before manually shutting off sections with a smaller sprayer but as expected the computer has my fingers beat. I would guess based on last season I'm at around 5% to 7% and I use that for my field calculations for total acres (7%) until I go into the last field and try to use my ave and tweak the rate at the end to end up with very little that needs to be diluted and sprayed.

I'm going to calibrate each nozzle this season (all 72 of them ;-)) Last season I checked a few from each section and did a large volume test as I as calibrating the flow meter doing several hundred gals of water to confirm. Was darn accurate and did several tank calibration checks during the season to see how close it came on large loads and the flowmeter did it job well as expected. Only reason to check all nozzles is some nozzles were new and some were used when I upgraded sprayers.

Getting a nurse tank built with 2 tote scale built on it and auto stop for water filling (Hudson valve). Looking forward to this set-up but could have easily gotten by with what I had previously. The Acuron gals add up which is why I started searching for better ways to fill the sprayer as my inductor is only 9 gals on the sprayer. Figured while I was at it put the bulk Powermax on the trailer scale as well. AMS will go into the nurse tank with a 30 gal inductor on the trailer and bind to the water while I'm out spraying. Scaled chemicals will go directly into the sprayers inductor so less clean-up needed between crops. Hoping to cut down on down time between loads a bit and should be more accurate as well. Always room for improvement in everything we do as farmers.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Met a hobby farmer last weekend and helped get him up to speed on using AMS on his roundup and reducing his GPA rate. Last season he didn't have very good luck with burn down so I helped him understand why and how it can help cause Gly resistance weeds. Was a eye opener for him but wonder how common lack of reading the labels is... I try to do my best but I will say last min chemical changes has me wishing a quick overview would be easier than some of these labels.

The weed man - 4/25/2017 18:17

My customers don't want to buy extra chemical for overlap so I either cut my gal/ac back on my monitor a tad or add more water than is required for the acres so that the chemical application rate matches the number of acres.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)